Cavitech UK provide a range of insulation services for domestic and business properties of all sizes anywhere in the UK.
Repointing and Brickwork Repair
- CHAS health and safety verified
- 9.8/10 customer satisfaction on Checkatrade
- Over 15 years experience in the sector
- Fast, friendly, efficient service
Get a Free Quote Now
Why Repoint Your Brickwork?
Gaps in the mortar caused over time by weathering and decay not only look bad but can let in water, which through constant freezing/thawing and subsequent salt deposits can cause long-term damage.
The water can get into the cavity itself and start to cause damp problems, especially you have insulated cavity walls.
If you can easily see open joints around the mortar bed, then it is time to think about repointing.
The Benefits of Repointing Brickwork
Brick pointing is the most effective way of restoring the condition and physical appearance of a building structure, and it forms an essential part in overall and ongoing building maintenance. Among other advantages of brick pointing, it will:
- Repair the structural integrity of your building’s brickwork.
- Ensure weatherproofing in your walls.
- Restore the overall appearance and brickwork of your home.
- Maintain or significantly increase the overall value of your home or property.
- Reduce any ongoing maintenance on your brickwork.
Repointing will also aid with:
- Conservation – maintaining the original character of older (listed) buidlings.
- Visual appeal – keeping more modern buidlings looking good and holding their aesthetic value.
- Pollution damage – city properties suffer from the effects of pollution from all forms of transport as well as everyday use of fossil fuels.
- Property value – first impressions count! If your property doesn’t look up to scratch, it is immediately devalued.
- Saleability – as above, but compounded if a survey shows your property performance to be sub-standard.
How Do We Repoint Your Brickwork?
When raking out old mortar we use 5″ angle grinders with 6mm mortar raking diamond blades and dust extraction units, giving clean cuts to the top and bottom joints ready for the new mortar.
In some cases power tools are not an option, so we use hand tools such as comb hammers.
Before applying new mortar, the brickwork is cleaned using a spray applicator to wash away any existing dust and provide maximum grip to the brickwork.
The Process of Repointing Brickwork
Watch the video below to see the Cavitech team repairing and repointing brickwork.
How Deep Should the Joints Be Raked Out?
Some builders only scratch back the old mortar to provide a ‘key’ for the new mortar. This shortcut is WRONG and will result in the new mortar ‘blowing’ and eroding due to weathering in a very short time!
We rake out the old mortar to a depth of 15-20mm as standard practice (unless instructed otherwise for whatever reason).
The Tools and Materials We Use
- Dust extractor kit/grinder
- Jet washer
- Striker/Repointing hawk
Repointing and Brickwork Repair
All of our work is guaranteed, and is carried out by qualified professionals. We also extract and remove insulation that’s damp and causing problems, and replace/install loft insulation.
- The best qualified teams in the UK
- A guideline price over the telephone where possible
- Free help and advice in diagnosing cavity wall problems
- Detailed surveying capability (which may include thermal imaging and moisture monitoring where required)
- Certificate provided on completion of work